A couple of weeks ago over on my YouTube channel, I was asked to film a video about my favourite foundations and powders. I did that and I thought you might find this little guide useful too. Particularly if your skin is normal or combination. There are a couple of choices though which would suit all the others skin types, oily or dry.
My skin after using Clarisonic has become normal. Occasionally it can feel more like combination skin type. I’m 35 so even though I’d like to think I have good skin, occasionally it shows signs of tiredness or dehydration. I like my foundation to be like a second skin, but better. I like it when it makes my complexion smoother and rejuvenated. My powder has to be fine and delicate to set products and not weight the entire look. With this criteria in mind, here are my current foundation choices.
My Top 3 Foundations:
- Charlotte Tilbury – Light Wonder. I like how this foundation makes my skin look. It gives me glow but not shine. It smooths my skin out. Makes it look perfected but not caked. Even after a long day it doesn’t make my complexion look tired. Do you know what I mean? The tired makeup face when your foundation rubs off here and there. When it cresses in the hollows of expression lines and your powder sticks heavily to the oilier parts. Yeh that horrid look! I’ve notice this foundation wears very nicely. I filmed the video below after a long day, and I haven’t touched up my foundation. As you’ll be able to see, it looks perfectly fine. Application is easy. I tried to apply it with different tools but for Light Wonder I like my fingers the most! It feels like it’s been wiped when you squeeze it out of the tube, it’s not runny nor it’s creamy, just somewhere in between. I wear no 2 Fair in Light Wonder.
- Clarins True Radiance and Clarins Everlasting Foundation +. I use those when my skin is grumpy and needs more coverage than usually. You can build better coverage with both of these foundations. Radiance Plus has relatively high coverage in comparison to other radiance boosting foundations. At least that’s what I experienced while working with different brands equivalents. Everlasting Foundation comes out when my day is going to be long and I won’t get a chance to look in the mirror once. I use both in shade 105.
- By Terry Cover Expert Foundation. This foundation perhaps doesn’t have the best lasting power but you’ll appreciate it’s super plumping powers if you’re older than 25. Do you know what I mean, when you just look in the mirror, examine your skin and it looks like someone has let some air out of your skin? Well this foundation will pump up your skin again! It’s full of hyaluronic acid, which is highly hydrating and helps to maintain that hydration in your skin for hours. I use By Terry in Rose Beige no4, which is better for me during winter.
My Top 3 Powders
- Hourglass Ambient Light powder in Ethereal light. Impressive powder! Perfect if you don’t want to change the look of your foundation but you need to set it. It’s so fine you won’t see it but it’ll help to set your liquid products. Great for touch ups as it won’t build up to a caked look. My most favourite for sure. Even though I’m trying and enjoying other powers I miss using it.
- Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish powder. Want to make your pores less visible? Look this way. This powder is like a pore eraser! Your complexion will look smooth. However, I feel it looks a bit more visible on the skin. I noticed it most when I switched from Hourglass, which was so lightweight. Airbrush Flawless Finish has a slick and small packaging too, which makes sit handy in your handbag. I use it in 1 Fair
- Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder. What an epic, inexpensive powder this is!! If you haven’t tried it yet you must. I’d probably place it somehow in-between the Hourglass and Charlotte Tilbury. You could say that it’s similar to Les Beige from Chanel. It feels silky and won’t look powdery on the skin. Does a great job in setting your base and getting rid of mid day shine. You’ll have a big mirror inside too. For under £10 you can’t go wrong with it. If I was to pick on something it’ll have to be the selection of shades. I don’t think there are many at all, from what I remember they’re all very similar as well. My shade is Vanilla 52.
There you have it! My current favourite products to create a flawless base. A lasting complexion perfection. Here is a video where I talk you through these products. Enjoy!
Feel free to add to this list if you feel there’s something we all should try. :)